Sunday, February 22, 2009

Frame of Mind

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I can sure dig myself into a pit of misery during a run. President’s Day was a day off work for me so I went to Riverfront Park for a run. Initially, I felt excited to be outside on a nice morning but as the run began to unfold the mental storm clouds rolled into my mind like it was twister season in Kansas. I began to perseverate over every little physical discomfort; this negative internal monologue was making the run feel more difficult than necessary.
So I slogged through the first 3 miles not feeling very good mentally or physically and I wondered if I was being self-abusing or building character. I really wanted to cut the run short and call it a day. But then I came across some red silk rose petals sprinkled along the gravel trail. I suspected they were remnants from someone’s Valentine's Day surprise. The pretty red petals were a nice contrast against the blah winter colors of Riverfront and I was intrigued. There were several petals in one area and they spread over the trail as if to lead the intended person towards something delightful. I willingly abandoned the negative thoughts that had been circling relentlessly in my mind as I pondered the story of the petals. A couple of times I thought I had lost the trail and then I'd see another one or two petals a little further ahead.

They eventually disappeared and I never did figure out their purpose. However, I was captivated by thoughts of the petals and grateful for the distraction from my negative thoughts. Who left the trail of petals and what kind of Valentine surprise lay in store for the person following the trail? Perhaps a blanket in the trees with an array of wine, cheese and other delights.

Whatever the intended purpose, the mystery of the petals was a welcome distraction from my negative thoughts and helped make my remaining couple of miles more enjoyable.

No comments: